emlyon business school
A unique and deeply rooted business school
The School hosts 9,020 students representing 125 nationalities in undergraduate and postgraduate programs, along with nearly 6,900 participants in executive education programs. The School counts six campuses around the world: Lyon, Saint-Étienne, Paris, Shanghai, Bhubaneswar and Mumbai. It draws on a network of 190 international academic partners and leads a community of 38,600 alumni in 130 different countries.
emlyon business school was founded in 1872 by the Lyon Chamber of Commerce and Industry. It is a private higher-education establishment recognized by the French State. It is one of the oldest business schools in Europe. emlyon is among the 1% of global business schools to be accredited by the three international accreditation systems: AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA. As such, it merits its status as a global-ranking school of business and management.
The teaching model: early makers since 1872
emlyon's distinctive academic signature early makers molds learning into a lifelong endeavor to have an impact on the world and offers a real alternative in its environment. It sees learning as not only a transfer of academic knowledge but also a "course of learning experiences" that equips students to forge a constant link between thought and action: "doing to learn, learning to do".
Through these collective and individual learning experiences, emlyon has set out to train responsible managers capable of taking up the challenges of today and tomorrow. This general-interest calling lies at the heart of the school's identity and is written into its articles of association since July 2021 when it transitioned to the status of a benefit corporation.
emlyon business school's faculty comprises highly-qualified professors and researchers working in our research centers. They help face social and economic challenges through papers published in the most prestigious international academic journals and in wide publications. Their expertise covers a very broad spectrum, ranging from artificial intelligence to the social sciences and entrepreneurship.
Faculty members are united by a common desire to generate the theoretical and practical answers to the major issues of the 21st century. This mindset is the keystone of the academic vision promoted by the school.
Throughout its history, emlyon business school has remained true to its distinctive characteristics: the spirit of enterprise, creativity and humanistic values.
- 1872 The Ecole Supérieure de Commerce de Lyon opened its doors with 75 students and 17 professors in a building constructed under Louis XV in Rue de la Charité in the second district of Lyon.
- 1877 Foundation of the Alumni Association, which plays an active part in finding jobs for the school's graduates.
- 1960 Creation of the Management Development Center, which launched a range of executive education programs.
- 1972 Inauguration of the school's new site in Ecully.
- 1978 The first double-degree programs were launched. A new network of schools was formed, made up of: Ecole Supérieur de Commerce de Lyon, University of Texas (USA), York University (Canada), University of Connecticut (USA), Aston University (UK) and Pace University (USA).
- 1984 Creation of the Entrepreneurs Center and the dedicated entrepreneurship programs.
- 1988 Creation of a new network spanning all of Europe (60 partners around the world).
- 1997 The school celebrated its 125th anniversary and took on a new name. The ESC Lyon Group became E.M.LYON (Ecole de Management de Lyon).
- 2005 The school joined the 1% of global business schools granted with 3 accreditations (AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB).
- 2007 A new campus was opened in Shanghai.
- 2010 The Alumni Association becomes the EMLYON FOREVER network and adds 20,000 graduates worldwide.
- 2014 A campus was opened in Saint-Etienne and the Global BBA (Bachelor in Business Administration) was launched.
- 2015 A campus was opened in Casablanca.
- 2016 The new early makers brand signature was launched and a campus opened in Paris.
- 2018 The school changed its legal structure and became a public limited company with an executive board and a supervisory board.
- 2019 The Gerland campus project was launched: a "next-generation campus" based in Lyon and planned for end-2023.
- 2021 emlyon emlyon unveiled its “Confluences 2025” strategic plan and adopted the status of a "société à mission", or benefit corporation.
150 years, here and now
The 150th anniversary of emlyon is an opportunity for the School to lay its foundations again and consider the future, drawing on the wealth and diversity of its experience. Rather than celebrating the past only or the School itself, emlyon chose to open a discussion between these various eras and their actors, with a view to shed a light on today's issues.
emlyon business school is a public limited company with an Executive Board and a Supervisory Board. The Executive Board is the executive body of the School, which formulates and execute the strategy. The Supervisory Board ensure its proper implementation.
- Isabelle HUAULT: Executive President & Dean
- Annabel-Mauve BONNEFOUS: Dean of Programs
- Tessa MELKONIAN: Dean for Faculty & Research
- Nicolas PEJOUT: Director of Strategy & Development
- Bruno TALLENT: Head of Communication, Marketing & Business Relations
- Guillaume Pepy – President
- Yves Chavent – Vice-President
- Myriam Bencharaa
- Valérie Travain-Milone
- Godefroy de Colombe
- Vanessa Diriart
- Philippe-Loïc Jacob
- Charlotte Campanella
- Nicolas Badré
- Jean-Charles Clément
- Eric Lefebvre – Censor